Communities

• Community Farm Goes Global!

We're saving the environment by saving money and having fun!

Not a not-for-profit, not really a business (definitely agri_culture_, not agribusiness), Ash Grove's mission is to make wholesome food and decent housing available to everybody, to demonstrate to the public and to other farmers that food can be grown in ways that are both economically and ecologically sustainable, and to show how easy it can be to regrow a sense of Community.

We are physically located at the roof of the Susquehanna Watershed, five miles south of Corning, NY (New York State's third most popular tourist destination), a region of tremendous beauty and ancient magic.

With the addition of our web site in Apr 1997 we have expanded our vision and our Community to include the whole world!

Meet us at Ash Grove Farm's Page and please forgive the few missing links which are still under construction. I promise, the Goat Milk Fudge recipe is on its way!

-- Dori Green - Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
    Corning, NY (USA)

<blockquote>_
    [Note from People in Action: Ash Grove Community Farm's new website is at www.ic.org/agrove]_</blockquote>

• Re: Community Farm Goes Global!

Hi there!

I am researching CSA in New York and would like to find out more about
    the Ash Grove Farm. However the link to their web page from your article does not work. Do you know what the new address is and could you please send it to me.

Thank you,
    Eva Chiamulera
    eic1@cornell.edu

• Hello i'd like to live in a spiritually (Self awareness) oriented community/ ecovillage, pref. in Cal., Oreg., Wash., Ariz., N.M., or Hawaii...
    In addition to working 4-7 hours a day, i'd hope there is free time and a place to play and practise music (mostly piano and synth) and art...
    I am now living in Santa Cruz, Cal.
    I am using someone else's computer, and can get occasional E-mail when he's there.
    My phone # is 1-831-479-4560.

• Hi, I'm living on a beautiful property in the mountains of Eastern CapeS Africa. Lush trees, birds waterfalls, like-minded friends andartist nearby, have lived in community 13 years, now on my own on this property and am looking for others to join me here and live collectively, consciously, and caring for mother earth and each other. visit my web www.returntomagic.co.za

• Kind Loving EcoVillage?

Don't believe the hype!

volunteer in the GA mountains if you like to be treated poorly by a contentious witch!

there are only three people living here now and two of those are leaving in the coming months,

there is a reason!

i say to all good people; there are so many places to be treated with respect and basic human dignity...

this is not one of them.

• hi

thought this might be of interest ...

pure portugal is a worker's co-operative (a uk company, but we're based in portugal) who, amongst other things (two of us are also members of catalyst collective - helping people set up and run housing & worker's co-ops - see www.eco-action.org/catalyst), act as an intermediary service for people looking to buy property and those with property for sale in central portugal.

we have a bias towards property suitable for small-holdings, self-sufficiency, low-impact living, eco-building, communities, etc.

an entire village (see details below) has just been listed on our website and we are very keen to find buyers who would be interested in setting it up as an eco-village, intentional community, or similar.

we'd be very grateful if you could pass the details on to anyone who you think may be interested.

if you would like any more information, please ask!

best wishes, sophie

Chumbaria, near Leiria
    Photos: http://www.pureportugal.co.uk/chumbaria.html

Village of 14 part-renovated buildings in 2.7 hectares.

This village is hard to describe as it has so many possibilities!

Set in 2.7 hectares of terraced land scented with eucalyptus and with
    far-reaching and stunning views (even a sea view on clear days!), are 14
    buildings that have been partially restored, with most of the major work
    already done.

About half of the buildings could easily be restored as 2-3 bedroom
    cottages.

There is a huge room that has been partially renovated with the
    intention of providing a bar/cafe/shop or similar. Outside is a large
    patio area with fantastic views over the village and countryside.

A large barn has been converted to provide male & female shower & toilet
    facilities.

One of the buildings has been renovated and provides 4 rooms, each with
    its own outside access to a small courtyard.

A further large building (originally used for making wine and retaining
    the original giant fermentation vats) has been partially divided to
    provide individual rooms and a shower-room/wc.

All the buildings have new or repaired roofs, new windows & doors.

There is also a large ruin (just 2 walls are still standing) which could
    be rebuilt.

Electricity & telephone are connected. There are 2 septic tanks. There
    is a well for water and mains water can be connected for approx. 1,000
    euros.

The land is fairly steep and mostly terraced. However, there is space
    for a large swimming pool.

Access to the village is along a good track.

Chumbaria is in a beautiful and peaceful location; within walking
    distance to small supermarkets, bars, & cafe; Leiria, and the A1
    motorway, is just 15 mins drive, and the coast only 30 mins. Lisbon is
    under one hour away.

PRICE: 500,000 euros (negotiable).

• kiaora, we are seeking landpartners and/or longterm volunteers to share in running an established conservation programme for international volunteers - and/or buying to our community longterm

read more about it here:
    http://tararuvalley.org/community/land-partners.html

Tararu Valley Sanctuary, NEW ZEALAND

Wood houses - Resources

Wood houses - Resources
Build your wood house while protecting nature and the environment. This is the update of selected resources on environmentally friendly houses made of wood, the major building material that's renewable and sustainable over the long term.